Thursday, October 25, 2012

Money Saving Move: Using-What-You-Got Crafts

Salt Dough Crafts/Ornaments
 
 
So, it was a snowy, chilly day here in Colorado. J is on fall break and I needed some indoor entertainment for both the girls. Bring on the Let's-Look-Around-The-House-And-See-What-We-Can-Come-Up-With tactic.
 
We did this craft using only things we found around the house so this craft was (yes, my favorite word) FREE!!!
 
 
Salt Dough:
 
2 cups flour
 
1 cup salt
 
warm water (about 3/4 cups)
 
Mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
 
Bake at 200 degrees until stiff.
 
 
Other supplies:
 
Kitchen utensils
toothpicks
paint/paint brushes
ribbons
stamps
glitter
jewels
tissue paper
mod-podge
any other things you can find around the house that would be useful.
 
Tip: if you want to minimize the post-baking painting, you can use food coloring to dye the dough before hand. ( I did not have any, so I did not do that.)
 
 
 
 
So J had this little stamp set laying around.  We decided to make Hello Kitty ornaments with them.
 

 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
We made various shapes and ornaments. The bug ornament on the right is our family's thumb prints. Daddy, Mommy, J and A. I think I would like to start a tradition of a family ornament every year. Maybe next year we'll do a flower with our prints? Just a thought......

 
 
I thought this would be another cute one.
 
 
After it was painted (right) and J's bedazzled Hello Kitty ornament (left)
 
 


This little snowman will be a cute mantle decoration. I made him a little hat, I just have to glue it on. I also want to get a cute ribbon or some twine/burlap and make him shabby-chic scarf.
 
 

 
 
While searching (unsucessfully) for cookie cutters, I grabbed other things in the kitchen that could be useful. We made angels and flowers using an apple slicer/corer.
 

 
 
 
 



 This is a great money saving craft and the kids typically love it. Happy Crafting






XOXO
 Jacqueline





No comments:

Post a Comment