Monday, October 15, 2012

Guest Post: DIY Mulling Spices

Hey Everyone!

So Today's guest post comes compliments of my very own sister, Kristen. She can put a lot of people to shame when it comes to her kitchen skills. She was kind enough to share with me her recipe for Apple Cider. Enjoy!!!




It's that time of year for comfort foods including Apple Cider, or even better, mulled Apple Cider. I prefer not to buy expensive mulling spices that only last for a cup or two so I decided to make my own this year. I don't follow an exact recipe but have made a concoction based on my personal tastes. Here is the gist of it:

I cut slices from oranges, lemons, and apples and put them on my cooling rack to dry for 24 hours.





Then I make a big batch of the spices.
6 cups of brown sugar
3 tbs cinnamon
2 tbl cloves
2 tbl allspice
1 tbl nutmeg

Mix all together in a big bowl. Then to create individual servings I put 1/2 cup of the spice mixture in a prep bowl.
 
 
 
 
 
Then I put 2 dried orange slices, 1 dried lemon slice, and 1 dried apple slice on top.

 
 
 

I usually add one prep bowl of spices to 2 cups of apple cider. It makes a pretty strong cup but that's the way I like it. The best thing about making your own mulling spices is that you can customize it to your personal taste. You can add less brown sugar and more dried fruit for a less sweet taste or add more cloves or cardamom for a spicier cup.

This is just a basic recipe so experiment!
 

 
 
Kristen Childs

 
For cooling rack and prep bowls used in this recipe see www.pamperedchef.biz/aspeck
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment