I found the inspiration photo (below) for the braided scarf on Pinterest. Because it was for sale on Etsy, there was no tutorial for it so I just kind of had to study the picture and wing it.
So here you go the (fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants) instructions. I will try to include pictures soon so the instructions make more sense.
1. Cut your T-shirt into strips. For a better description on that, see here. Cut a few short, thin extra strips. You will need these to finish the project.
2. These strips (when first cut) will actually be in the shape of "loops." Stretch all your loops together to the desired length you want (or as far as that particular material will let you.) And then, holding all the loops in one hand, cut them. You now have several strips of material.
3. Still holding the strips in one hand, comb through them with your finger. This will make it a little easier to braid. (if you're working with two colors, try to arrange the strips so they are grouped together by color.)
4. Tape down one end of your gathered up strips to a sturdy surface. If you have no tape but have creepy long toes like I do, you can hold them between your toes.
5. Divide your strips into 3 semi-even sections. Begin to braid your strips at the top, near the tape.
6. This is where it gets a little tricky. Braid as far down as you would like. Tape it down where the braid ends, leaving the rest of the strips free flowing. Take one of your small strips you cut in step 1 and tie it tightly with double and triple knots at the bottom of the braid. You can use fabric glue to solidify the knot and prevent it from coming undone.
7. To finish, you can tie the two ends together with the other piece of fabric cut in step 1, which is what I did. Or if you want a super neat finish and have a lot of patience, you can fabric glue the two ends together.
So there you have it! If you find yourself embarking on this project and get confused, Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions.